Jump to content

Fire safety in student accomodation

Guest Richard

Recommended Posts

Guest Richard

Hi, I provide fire extinguishers for a local college. In the main building, which was built in the 1800s I have found that the student room doors do not have smoke /heat seals or self closers installed. The doors lead onto corridors then to final exits, the alarm system is L1
Should they have seals installed and self closers? The doors are very old and solid wood? (they also have small kitchen with an electric two ring hob)
Also, the college has two student houses in the town one sleeps ten and the other sleeps twenty with a shared kitchen what legislation covers these? Are they HMOs?

Thanks for any help


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Student halls of residence, where the universities are specified as exempt by act, consequently it will not be a HMO. Check out http://www.firesafe.org.uk/houses-in-multiple-occupation/ for more information.

The doors to student bedrooms may not be required to have full half hour protection (self-closer, strips and seal) considering the L1 Fire Alarm and depending on the existing means of escape also it could be a heritage building. However the kitchen is usually protected to a full half hour standard. Check out the fire risk assessment it should answer some of your questions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...