fire escape route legal requirement

andrew720

Hello, I've recently joined the forum and I have a question that I'm hoping can be answered here. I'm an adult whom is diagnosed with an autistic spectrum disorder whom has recently taken up residence in a ground floor one bedroom flat leased from a local housing association. I have become very concerned though of what the fire escape route would be from the primary fire escape to a safe distance away from the building, therefore I would like to ask, is there a legal obligation for house letting agencies or associations to make available to tenants a safe and accessible fire escape route to a designated fire assembly point or to an area that should be considered a safe distance away from the building? If so, what are the legal requirements for that fire escape route and if I feel that the legal requirements are not being met, whom should I notify after the housing association itself of any breeches in fire safety. Any information will be very gratefully received.

The Responsible Person (landlord) has a duty to provide a means of escape from your flat to the public thoroughfare where you can disperse to a safe area, he/she does not have to arrange designated fire assembly point. It is possible your block of flats may have a stay put policy and you could stay in your flat, if it is safe to do so, unless you are threatened by fire. I would need to know much more to give you a designated response.