Clean Up after Powder Extinguisher went off in my home.

TimothyB

Recently a third party has used a powder extinguisher in our home. It was only used for about 1 second. I can't seem to clean it, and supposedly you aren't supposed to use water. I didn't realize this and I have mopped the entire floor. The marble looks faded and lost its shine, as did the wooden floor.

Does anyone have experience? How worried should be about my electronics? There were non ein the hallway where it was used.

Help would me massively appreciated!

Hi Timothy

Powder extinguishers will usually contain bicarbonate or phosphates. Some of these are corrosive when moist. Step one should always be to brush up or vacuum. Then mop up with a damp cloth. Soft furnishings can be a problem, as the powder eats into the fabric over time. Fabric coverings should therefore ideally be machine washed.

There is a brief guidance on how to clean up after fire extinguishers are discharged.

If you know the make and model of the extinguisher, we could see if we can get the data sheet for the powder.

Harry