Environmental Health requesting escape door

Guest IanBar

My friend has a property that he rents out. I do maintenance on the property. He lets it to single households, therefore it is not an hmo. The local environmental health office has asked him to provide an escape door at the bottom of the stairs.It is a two up two down terraced house of which there are many I have worked on, 99% of which do not have them. I think that eh are being overzealous in this requirement, and I would like to challenge them on this. Can you provide any information that would help please ?

This is a domestic premises and not subject to The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 and I think the environmental health officer is applying the Housing Act 2004 as a result, using the Housing health and safety rating system operating guidance but a am afraid this is well outside my area of expertise. Has the EHO issued an improvement notice or anything in writing he could be trying on the bluff & persuasion act.