Cars blocking fire exit

Guest ChrisBra

Guest ChrisBra

Hello I have just moved into a first floor flat above a shop,there is one other flat above me and the shop is a fast food outlet. Parking at the rear belongs to the shop and the staff are regularly parking around and sometimes even in front of our exit door which is also our only means of escape in a fire. Should the developer have made a barrier area for escape routes away from the building. This is a brand new development

If it is private land then I think there should be an area marked no parking with appropriate signs and if possible a barrier. Even if it is public thoroughfare there should be marking and signs.

Check out https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/fire-safety-risk-assessment-offices-and-shops section 6 page 102

• 6 months later...
Guest PeterBro

I have a parking problem with the builders at a site that I work at. Could you advise me on the specified safe parking distance from a fire exit please?

Many thanks

I far as I am aware there is no set safe parking distance from a fire exit other than it should not impede persons escaping from a fire. The other problem is unless you have direct control of any offenders there is little you can do about it other than rely on their good sense.

• 7 months later...

Yes you could report it to the local Fire and Rescue Service who are the enforcing authority for the The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 and they could talk to the builders and if they are restricting the means of escape they may be able to act.

Check out http://www.firesafe.org.uk/uk-fire-rescue-services-details/

• 2 years later...
Guest Disgruntled tenant

I have been having similar issues but it is with my landlord and his family/friends. They regularly block my front door with cars leaving just a few inches to navigate around and it's the only access in or out of the premises.

I informed them by letter to stop but they have continued regardless I'm taking pictures each times it happens but im abit clueless where to turn and worried I will struggle getting out of the premises in a fire emergency

• 1 year later...
Guest Charlie

Hi there. I live in a new build. 

The pst 2 years vehicles from the shop below us park in our designated fire assembly point. How do we go about enforcing a painted keep clear sign on the floor of the land? And how do we stop these vehicles from parking here! 

If the fire assassembly point is on private land, sue them for trespassing, if it is on common land, then there is not much you can do other than speaking to the owners to see if they can help. This is a solicitors problem you should contact a solicitors and see if they can help but usually its a problem you have to live with.