Fire risk assessment of security exits

Guest SamC

Hello, I am a resident in a two story purpose built set of flats. The ground floor comprise commercial units which have separate entrances and the first floor comprise thirteen flats with three communal entrances. The two main entrances are security gates which can be opened with a key or opened by pressing an electronic timer button. Can you tell me what the legal requirements are with regards to getting out of the gate in event of a fire? I don't think there has been a recent fire assessment and I don't think there is any way of opening the gate without a key in the event of a fire and the electricity goes down.

Thank you, Sam.

All access and security controlled locking systems on doors used on escape routes, require an electromechanical or mechanical override in the direction of escape. However it depends on the type of lock and how it is configured also is a fire alarm fitted to be able to decide which is the best solution.

Check out http://www.firesafe.org.uk/security-and-fire-safety/ for more information.