Model evacuation plan for flats

Guest DavidSau

Guest DavidSau

I am Surveyor tasked with implementing a Fire Risk Assessment for some blocks of flats with 68, 16 and 52 flats respectively in London . They are 4 storeys high. Occupied by over 50's only but not sheltered.

Have completed FRA which identifies an action plan. Action plan includes operational procedures required which we are putting in place.

Do they have any 'model'evacuation procedures they could send?
Do we need a fire cert to be issued for this type of premises when action plan completed?

Many thanks

I am not aware of any model evacuation procedures, each one is bespoke to each individual premises and fire certs are a thing of the past, but there are other certificates for various purposes. The guidance for Fire safety in purpose-built blocks of flats should provide you with all the information you require.

• 3 months later...

I agree with Tom Sutton. The guidance is sensible and well laid out. I think the reference number is L11-335, although that's from memory. It focusses heavily on compartmentation to decide upon an evacuation strategy, which in general needs blocks where occupants are responsible for their own evacuation should normally conform to a 'Stay Put' strategy, sometimes called 'Defend in Place'. I risk assess purpose built blocks of general needs flats on a regular basis and often find that the evacuation strategy as stated on fire action notices is in direct conflict with the presence of fire alarm sounders in the communal areas. Automatic fire detection equipment, (AFD), in the communal areas is fine, as long as it is silent and carries out other functions, such as operating automatic opening vents, (AOV's), or auto dialling a fire alarm call centre. The logic behind this strategy is as follows: IF compartmentation is of the standard required by purpose built blocks of flats built after 1991, then people are statistically, (which normally means actually), safer staying in their flat as long as it is not affected by fire or smoke. Year on year, out of several thousand blocks of flats fires in the UK, only a handful necessitate full evacuation of the building. I appreciate that this is counter intuitive, and if a fire alarm is heard, people are naturally going to want to leave the building, an understandable reaction, but nevertheless one which will often place them in greater danger than remaining in a safe place, (their flat). So if there are fire alarm sounders in the communal areas and a 'STAY PUT' strategy posted on the fire action notices, people are likely to attempt to leave regardless when the alarm sounds. There are a couple of other things to consider. If the compartmentation in the block is compromised by, for example, people changing their flats front doors from fire doors to non fire doors, cables / pipework being installed through the compartment walls, floors or ceilings and not being properly sealed around the breaches or structural alterations that compromise compartmentation, then sounders should be active and the fire action notices changed to reflect a 'FULL' evacuation strategy, which means 'everybody run away quickly and don't come back until it's safe to do so'. This is why purpose built blocks have to be properly managed. To summarise; if compartmentation is, or is likely to have been compromised, then sounders and a 'FULL' evacuation strategy, reflected by fire action notices should be the order of the day. If compartmentation is known to be adequate, then no sounders and a 'STAY PUT' strategy reflected by fire action notices should be implemented. Each case should be considerd individually. For converted buildings, use LACORS, which is very different. Hope that helps. If you need more help, just e mail me at dr.flue@talktalk.net. The name is Steve. PS. 'Fire Safety in Purpose Built Blocks of Flats' contains example fire action notices.