10 hours ago10 hr comment_56208 Hi, I need some advice if possible. I have recently had an FRA completed at a converted HMO Property I cover. This property is a 6 bed, 3 story high with only 1 room on the very top story.Currently I have a stair well leading from the bottom of the stairs to the top. The stair well leads directly to the front door, I also have a back door exit that goes through the kitchen. On the 1st floor in one of the rooms there is an external fire escape. This is used purely for the client that resides in that room, no other residents have access to these external stairs due to being part of a clients room. The FRA report states :"The rear fire escape stairs are presently only accessible via a locked door. This escape route must be reinstated for use by all residents: Options to achieve this are suggested below: - Take flat 6 out of use and remove the lock from the door. The flat area should have combustible items removed. - Install fire resistant walls so as to create a corridor from the stairwell to the exit door. - Change the door lock on flat 6 so as to be linked to the fire alarm and unlock when the alarm is activated. Once this escape route is implemented, signs should be installed indicating this ais a route of escape."I have gone back to the FRA and stated that it's my understanding that an external fire escape is needed on a three-story property if the internal escape route is compromised, this is typically the case when the internal fire escape does not discharge directly to a final exit, which my property does. Can anyone please advise me this, the FRA is stating it will still need to be reinstated to the whole house ! I have 6 houses that are of similar design but no external fire escape and those houses have been passed by the same FRA.Thank you for your time. Report
2 hours ago2 hr comment_56210 If it's existing and meets the LACORS guide for the size & use (summarised below) it's fine with just a protected internal stair that terminates in an exit. Report
Join the conversation
You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.