Upholstery

Guest Gemada

Guest Gemada

Could you please advise us on the regulations for upholstery regarding selling and if we need to use fire retardant calico or barrier cloth flame retardant.

Go to http://www.firesafe.org.uk/furniture-and-furnishings-fire-safety-regulations-19881989-and-1993/ then go to the FIRA website and register for free. Then to FIRA publications/Flammability guides and down load either the contract or domestic furniture. You will find all you need to know about the Flammability Regs.

• 7 months later...

Are you saying that seat pads are not included in the fire safety regulations? or that they are but do not require labels.

I have several chairs with foam filled seat pads covered with man made or cotton fabric.

I could replace them with a cotton filler and cover with woolen tweed fabric.

Would that fulfil fire regs? What would suffice to fulfil fire regs for letting? I would appreciate some clarity on this please. many thanks

No I am not saying that, fillings for seat pads are subject to the regulations and do need permanent labels, rented accommodation is also subject to the regulations, all I told Gemada was where the information is available. Go to http://www.fira.co.uk/publications/flammability-guides and download "Fire safety of furniture and furnishings in the home - A Guide to the UK Regulations" all you need to know you will find it there.

• 1 year later...
Guest JohnCu

Hi

I am a teacher and have some soft seating in my classroom. My head wanted me to check requirements for fire safety as there do not appear to be any fire safety labelling. Is there a requirement for school furniture to have any fire safety labelling on furniture?

Upholstered furniture should should be tested to BS 5852 or BS 7176 and carry a label if the latter. Check out page 51 of the guide to educational premises and more information on upholstered furniture for non domestic premises can be found in Contract Flammability Guide