Is an open plan layout possible for First-Third floor flat?

Guest Tom

Guest Tom

Good afternoon

We want to have an open plan layout that combines the living area and stairs/hallway. The kitchen would be separate with it's own door. There is also a fire escape from the balcony off the kitchen to the ground floor courtyard at the back (not shown on the plans).

The property is a flat covering the first, second and third floors of a victorian building. There's a separate ground floor flat below us.

I've tried reading up on the fire regulations to see if this layout is possible, or whether we need to keep the hallway to separate the stairs from the living room.

I've attached some plans (existing and proposed). Welcome any advice.

Thank you, Tom

proposed layout.PNG

original layout.PNG

Keeping the kitchen separate is a good move as this is often the area of contention. As it's too high for every floor to have escape windows as a secondary exit you would usually need a protected stair as you have presently.

I've not had time to look in detail, but usually layouts like this would attract a need for domestic sprinklers, in some cases smoke curtains and vents have been used too. A chartered fire engineer is your best bet for advice & any BCO submission.