Cold smoke seal preventing fire doors opening without force

Guest Matt Building Supervisor

Guest Matt Building Supervisor

Hi there,

Can any one tell me if the cold smoke seal part of the intumescent fire door strip is necessary. We have a few doors in our work place that are a struggle to open because of the cold smoke seal strip is catching. We have a lot of people with access needs visiting the building who really struggle with opening them - meaning the fire doors are more of a hazard. 

I have tried replacing the seals with the brush type but still the gap between the door and frame is too small and still causes same problem - am i going to have to route out the door frames?

I can seem to find any fire regulations stating whether or not they are necessary

Smoke seals to fire doors are necessary for fire doors opening onto escape routes and in locations where sleeping accommodation exists. Of course there are other areas where they might be necessary too. Consult Annex C of the Building Regulations Approved Document B for information.

Compression type batwing seals or those held in a carrier and fitted to the door frame stop might work better.

image.png.d1064b7e14bcb9f8799cbd7964cf1ad6.png