Fire doors in a domestic 3 storey house

Guest Is there an alternative?

Guest Is there an alternative?

We have done a loft conversion (uk). The downstairs is currently open plan with a very small hall and staircase between the kitchen on one side, sitting room on the other side. Is there ANY alternative to fire doors? They are completely impractical as  we go through them ALL the time and they will be wedged open, thereby rendering them useless. I am tempted to get the sign off from building control and take them out. As far as I can see there aren’t any fire regs for private houses. All the other doors are fire door and there is a clear exit onto flat roof from top floor. Advice please, are there alternatives to fire doors? Am I actually breaking law to take out fire doors?

Are you breaking the law?  Technically yes, but I doubt that the fire police will ever inspect the property again.  The issue will be if you ever have a fire, it will invalidate the insurance and may lead to prosecution as you have knowingly removed a life safety device, or when you sell the property they will have to be replaced.

There are alternatives such as a suppression system, but all are far more expensive