Alternative exits

Lyledunn

You can see by the travel distances that this is quite a small first-floor restaurant. Two exits to the right hand side of the room. As far as a I can interpret the requirements of diagrams 2.1 and 2.2 of ADB V2, the arrangement is compliant. Point A is the furthest point in the room, C is access to a protected stair and D is the head of a stair that is separated from the ground floor.  

image.thumb.png.039db82b3150ce9f5c7b0b32d49f41ca.png

Where is the kitchen extracting to?

What suppression does the cooking use?

The travel distance of 18m is extremely fortuitous, but what about furniture?

The note about travel distance A to D is next to C, I’d move the note to avoid confusion.

The private area could be considered a dead end.

To avoid ambiguity, I would draw the effective angle with a leader line and angle dimension.

Are both stairs protected with fire doors?

Is the occupancy the same for both floors?

Cheers Mike, many thanks for your reply.

My query really only relates to whether the assertion that there are two alternative exits for this room by virtue of interpretation of diagrams 2.1 and 2.2 in ADB is valid. 

However, I will answer the points you raise;

Where is the kitchen extracting to?

Straight through exterior wall at rear of kitchen

What suppression does the cooking use?

None

The travel distance of 18m is extremely fortuitous, but what about furniture?

Yep, but that is what 10.9m and 7.1m add up to and that is what the measurement tool on Autocad says. If there are two alternative exits, the total allowable travel distance is 45m so furniture allowance would not be an issue.

The note about travel distance A to D is next to C, I’d move the note to avoid confusion.

Yes indeed, my mistake! Should read A to C

The private area could be considered a dead end.

Yes, I think it could be but not sure why you see that as an issue

To avoid ambiguity, I would draw the effective angle with a leader line and angle dimension.

Agreed, good point

Are both stairs protected with fire doors?

Fire door at point C giving access to a protected stair. The room is open to the other stair but it is appropriately separated from the ground floor and leads directly to the outside via a final exit door at the foot.

Is the occupancy the same for both floors

Yes.

Edited by Lyledunn
Further explanation

Thank you Mike.

Actually, although I referred to diagrams in ADB, I was tasked with confirming compliance with Technical Booklet E (TBE), which is the more dated ADB equivalent guidance in Northern Ireland.

The works to erect the kitchen were unauthorised and now need to be regularised.  My task is to demonstrate that the requirements of TBE have been either met or not, irrespective of the application of any common sense approach.

The requirement of 4.2b in ADB is entirely sensible, however, there is no such form of words in TBE.

TBE does require at least 30min enclosure of “special fire hazard” but it is easy to demonstrate that a kitchen does not fall into that category by using unambiguous references in the document itself.

Whilst I feel a tad uncomfortable with such a pedantic approach, I have cautioned that irrespective of compliance with TBE, there will be other parties such as the insurance company, fire risk assessor, etc who may see the need for appropriately fire rated enclosing walls and/or the provision of automatic extinguishing equipment under the canopy etc.