Fire door hinges and pads

DerekD

Hi

I am looking for a little help with a Building Regs Regularisation application for a loft conversion that was carried out in the early 1990s - the process involves making sure that the works comply with the Regulations current at the time (ie 1985 Building Regulations).

The Victorian panel door to the loft was upgraded to the then required FD20S standard (lining with Supalux and fitting with a Perko closer and intumescent smoke seals) and is hung on two fire rated hinges.

The miodern standard seems to be three hinges together with intumescent hinge pads, but I'm not sure that either was a requirement in 1990; however I can't find when the requirement for three was introduced, and the use of the pads became a requirement.

Does anyone know when either or both of these two requirements was added to the Building Regulations?

Many thanks

Intumescent pads have never been a requirement for FD20 doors (unless there is a specific requirement in the manufactures instructions).  The current regulations only require a FD20 door (not smoke) for an enclosure of a stairwell for a single-family dwelling you could argue the point with the surveyor. It is common practice and has been for some considerable time to use 1 and ½ hinged on all heavy door sets (not just fire doors) so you may wish to add a hinge. 

Hi Mike

Thanks for your advice, particularly with regard to intumescent pads.

A third hinge can be fitted to the door if required, but I would prefer to avoid it as I am concerned that the extra hinge may cause the door to bind - the door, being Victorian, is slightly warped, so although the hinges can be fitted to be in line when the door is open, they may not be as the door tries to close, and there could be too much resistance for the Perko to overcome.

The Surveyor is asking for proof that the upgraded door will meet the 20 minutes fire resistance (integrity) standard required under the 1985 Regulations, and although I believe the method did follow the recommendations published by Promat at the time, I have not been able to locate the document. I can only compare it with their current document, so I am trying to get an opinion from Promat and/or their fire testers, that will hopefully satisfy the surveyor.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - I live in a purpose-built block of flats (constructed in ~1970) and every flat needs to modify its flat front door so it can be considered to be a notional FD30S fire door assembly (existing door/frame with intumescent strips, intumescent letter box, fire-rated hinges and a door closer). The doors are suitable for modification (hardwood and 44m wide). I've installed 3 brass hinges (CE Reference = CE 4-7-6-1-1-4-0-13) and I'm trying to establish whether these need to have intumescent pads/liners underneath the hinges? 

As I now have a door closer fitted, my door will always shut and the intumescent strips/letterbox (with brushes) will ensure my door will self-seal if a fire took hold. I'd like to establish (for a notional fire door) whether intumescent strips are discretionary (nice to have) or mandatory (must have) for 3 brass hinges (CE 4-7-6-1-1-4-0-13).  There seems to be a lack of guidance on his topic and when I bought the hinges online (Tradefit) didn't come up with the product. 

If you have any experience on this topic, I'd be grateful for your input. It's been a learning curve to get this far and it's a final point to clarify. 

Many thanks

Conrad  

In most cases on a 30 min door pads are not required, however you must refer back to the door assessment (which obviously you can’t).  For a FD30 hardwood door, personally I would forget the intumescent pads.

Should I fit intumescent pads behind my fire door hinges? - Armada (armadadh.com)

In many cases (but not all), the fire test assessment for the door states that for standard sized FD30 doors, intumescent hinge pads are not required.

For instance the BM Trada Field of Application Report for the Strebord 44mm FD30 door core states that hinge pads are not required for doors of height 2670mm and under. Doors of height 2671mm and over need 1mm intumescent pads under both hinge leaves.

Likewise, BM Trada’s Field of Application Report for the Halspan Optima 30 door core, simply says; hinge intumescent protection not required.

And a third example is Jeld-Wen’s Tubeboard FD30 door core, where the Certifire Certificate of Approval also says; none required.