Number of fire exits required?

Guest Alison

Guest Alison

I'm looking at a warehouse to open up a dog training centre (to hold training classes for the public), but it only has one entrance, and it also has an upstairs, which has no fire exit except down the main stairs to the main entrance... I'm wondering if this is a big problem, and whether I should not consider it as a result, should all buildings have 2 fire exits?

It also has no fire doors or fire alarm system that I could see, and I'm guessing it will be quite expensive to add these in?

Many thanks for reading,

Too little information you would need a plan of the layout, all relevant distances, degree of fire compartmentation, any existing fire safety precautions installed and a physical survey would be ideal.

You need to conduct a Fire Risk Assessment (FRA) which in the opinion of the government you can conduct yourself bu using the DCLG guide, Offices and shops or other appropriate guide, check out http://www.firesafe.org.uk/regulatory-reform-fire-safety-order-2005/ .

Your you could employ a registered fire risk assessor to advise you and the FRA s/he produces would be used went to premises is up and running.