Extraction hood to close in case of fire alarm?

Guest Trevorpri

Guest Trevorpri

We are refurbing a new training kitchen.

I would like to know if it is a legal requirement for the extration hood and the gas interlock value to close if the fire panel is activated, or is it a recomendation/ best practice.

We have arround 35-40 people in the building over two floors in 12 training rooms.

We have planned for the necessary stop buttons and an ansel fire system.

But just to be clear, I am refering to an alarm activation away from the kitchen on a seperate fire zone.

Thank you for your help.

Trevor

There is no legal requirement for the extraction hood and the gas interlock value to close if the fire alarm is activated, as far as I am aware.

Fire Safety Legislation's ( RR(FS)O) principle requirement is that a Fire Risk Assessment (FRA) must be conducted and the Responsible Person (RP) would decide if the fire alarm actuated then should the extraction hood and the gas interlock valve close, and this will be based on recommendation/ best practice.

Some points to consider when making that decision,

1. When the ansul fire system is installed it will require the gas supply to be isolated when it actuates, not sure about the ventilation.

2. If there was a fire in the kitchen or anywhere in the building how will all the appliances be switched off, before evacuating the kitchen.

3. How many kitchen are there.

4. What is the fire evacuation strategy. (Fire Procedure)

5. Location of the kitchen and passive fire protection.

Like Health and safety it is all based on risk assessment.

Guest TrevorPri

hi Tom, thank you for your reply.

Having read thought your reply, I am happy that we had considered and covered all the points you mentioned.

When we talk about best practice, as you state depends on the risk assessment report and then the safety measures in place.

Your reply has assisted me greatly

Thanks

Trevor