Locked front door cannot be opened by diabled people

Guest MariaMee

Guest MariaMee

we live in a block of four flats with one floor on the ground floor we have two people with polio in wheelchairs and one with learning disablities we have our main door and this is classed asour exit however we have a woman who insists on locking this door and the people downstairs even though it is just a keyless lock cannot open it as they struggle to turn the knob we have ben told we have to keep this door locked even though we have our own front doors as this would contain the fire what would happen if there was a fire and myelf and my partner were not here and she had locked this door how would they get out should measures be taken for these people with disabilities because we are getting no answers i would appreciate commets on this matter

The common areas of blocks of flats are subject to The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 and should have a fire risk assessment (FRA) which would consider the problem you are concerned with. The enforcing authority is the local Fire and Rescue Service (FRS) therefore I would suggest you contact them and make them aware of your problem and they should conduct an inspection to ensure all things are satisfactory.

Check out http://www.firesafe....ety-order-2005/ for more information and http://www.firesafe....rvices-details/ will identify your local FRS or local fire station and you could visit or phone them.