Escape window cill height too high

Guest Ruby

I own both leasehold and share of freehold on a Victorian conversion (converted in 70s) where both of the bedrooms are inner rooms (means of escape via lounge as front door to flat opens directly onto lounge). The flat is partially lower ground, and the bedroom windows are too high to meet escape guidelines (around 1300mm to bottom of opening). I’m getting the windows replaced, but can’t widen the opening due to the lower ground nature. From what I’ve read, alternative options would be installing a fixed step beneath the windows, or installing a suppression system to the access room (have been considering AutoMist). I’d be grateful for any advice on a) how to ensure I meet current building regs; b) whether I am legally required to do this as flat was converted pre 1991; c) most importantly whether there is a best option to make sure we can all escape safely.

Building Regulations are not retrospective and the flat interior is not covered by the Fire Safety Order so you need not change anything. If you were completely remodelling the interior layout you might have an issue where extra measures may be required.

• 1 month later...
On 17/04/2022 at 21:39, Guest Ruby said:

I own both leasehold and share of freehold on a Victorian conversion (converted in 70s) where both of the bedrooms are inner rooms (means of escape via lounge as front door to flat opens directly onto lounge). The flat is partially lower ground, and the bedroom windows are too high to meet escape guidelines (around 1300mm to bottom of opening). I’m getting the windows replaced, but can’t widen the opening due to the lower ground nature. From what I’ve read, alternative options would be installing a fixed step beneath the windows, or installing a suppression system to the access room (have been considering AutoMist). I’d be grateful for any advice on a) how to ensure I meet current building regs; b) whether I am legally required to do this as flat was converted pre 1991; c) most importantly whether there is a best option to make sure we can all escape safely.

If you are acting as a Landlord you may find that whilst the RRFSO does not apply, the Homes Fit for Human Habitation Act and Housing Act may consider the layout as a category 1 hazard if the inner rooms are present and you have extended travel distance with little or no mitigation. I have seen recent examples of this from local authorities. We have to remember that whilst Building Regulations are not retrospective, some fire guidance has been around for donkeys years for dwellings within blocks. Non compliance against these would not be a defence if the worst was to happen.