Can electric blankets be used on memory foam mattresses

Guest AngelaBee

Guest AngelaBee

Hi, I am desperately seeking fire safety advice for the use of electric blankets being used with memory foam mattresses or memory foam toppers.

I moderate a static caravan forum, and there are a large amount of members planning to do this in their static caravans.

As the season has just begun, I need to find this safety information asap to keep everyone safe.

Can you help please? can you point me in the right direction of fire safety advice in this subject?

Further to my above posting I have done further research and found, my own memory foam mattress has a label that states electric blankets should not be used. But I do not know if this is because it is a fire risk or because memory foam is harder below 18degrees C and as it warms up become softer and if you use an electric blanket it may become too soft. I think it needs more research.

More information from FIRA (horses mouth)

"Technically, only the filling material of a mattress needs to comply with the FF(FS) regs. The rest of the mattress is subject to GPSR. The decision lies with Trading Standards, who only seem to accept BS 7177 Low Hazard as proof of compliance with GPSR and so this approach has been adopted by the industry as best practice. It is known that products without labelling to BS 7177 are often subject to seizure by Trading Standards and they would perform spot check tests on such items to ascertain whether or not they comply with BS 7177. However it is not actually written down anywhere that a mattress must comply with BS 7177"

If you purchase Contract Mattresses then you will have no problem getting them to comply with the Regulations. If you purchase from the domestic retailers then you will have more difficulties and you should quiz the retailer on what standards the mattresses conform to in fact any mattress I was to purchase I would quiz the seller. Also find out if electric blankets can be used.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...