Can we take laptop out when evacuating?

Guest Howard Man

Guest Howard Man

Hi! I am looking for guidance to give staff when evacuating our office. I would like to allow people to take their laptops with them as this is critical to our resiliency plans. I want to advise, "IF SAFE TO DO SO, undock and go: do not shut down or finish work - sling the bag over your shoulder to keep hands free." Some people are saying that the law says take no belongings and there's no room for interpretation. I believe that just as ladies are allowed to take pocketbooks/ purses people can take a laptop bag and allow for a safe evacuation whilst having common sense rule the day (e.g. we don't prohibit people taking a jacket if it's cold/raining).

The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 like all health and safety regulation is all about risk assessment and the Responsible Person is required to conduct a fire risk assessment. Offices and shops is the guide for the FRA and saying there's no room for interpretation is far from the truth it all about interpretation. A quick and safe evacuation is first principles but quite often it is not possible to leave immediately, switching off machinery for example, sometimes, other actions may have to be done before leaving and its for the FR assessor to make that decision. Assuming you are the RP (employer) then the decision is yours with the help of a Competent Person, if required and the above guide. Check out section 7.2 Emergency plan and contingency plans in the guide, which is relevant to this problem.

Check out http://www.firesafe.org.uk/regulatory-reform-fire-safety-order-2005/ it may help.