Household fire extinguisher servicing?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I have purchased a 2kg powder fire extinguisher for using it in my house. A web site says, Fire extinguishers used for business purposes must be serviced every twelve month, refilled after 5 years and overhauled after 10 years. Do I need to do the same with household extinguishers as well?

It is not required for you to have your extinguisher serviced as a residential customer. Just check the pressure gauge once a year to make sure the needle still is in the green area, tip the extinguisher on its head to stir up the powder and replace at the latest after ten years

• 1 month later...

I have purchased a 2kg powder fire extinguisher for using it in my house. A web site says, Fire extinguishers used for business purposes must be serviced every twelve month, refilled after 5 years and overhauled after 10 years. Do I need to do the same with household extinguishers as well?

It is worth noting that while you are not legally required to have your home extinguishers serviced, they are susceptible to the same issues as extinguishers installed in businesses. If the worst happened it would be re-assuring to know that your extinguishers are fully functional.

• 1 year later...
Guest Michael Bodstrup

Just for info, this new years eve, I let my son try a 2Kg dry powder unit stamped 1998. It has not been maintained since purchase - and it worked perfectly. As long as the pressure is OK and no visible corrosion I would think it will be OK.

It might be a good idea to give it a good shake before using.

Regards

Michael

Hi Michael

My brother in law also has a powder extinguisher from his boat which is 20-30 years old and he never fails to rub it in that it is still in perfect condition (powder can be heard moving freely and the pressure gauge is in the green). I am sure that many extinguishers last longer than the recommended lifespan and for households it is perfectly acceptable to use their own judgement. However, I would be cautious in exceeding the lifespan recommended by the manufacturer. Quality extinguishers, as for example Gloria, are guaranteed by some retailers for ten years but there are a number of manufacturers of smaller extinguishers whose extinguishers are designed for a shorter lifespan.

Harry