Jump to content


Power Member
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Profile Information

  • Gender

Recent Profile Visitors

5,162 profile views
  1. There is a number of agents that can be used as a replacement for Halon and the best one will depend on the individual risk, the volume of the area in question etc. Dependant on the current installation , existing pipe work and discharge equipment will normally have to be changed due to pressures, fluid flow rates etc. Feel free to PM me and I can pass on a couple of contact details of some individuals that will be able to help.
  2. I have twice now forwarded a link to a company that would be able to help " Guest_LesClif" who is looking for a location to obtain ID Disks for Fire Doors. Why has my post with the companies web site been removed?
  3. As the business owner and the person with control over the premises, the staff and the processes undertaken within the premisses, you are the "responsible Person" and the one with the responsibility to carry out or have the Fire Risk Carried out by and outside provider. Then act on the findings as appropriate. When it comes to any issues arising from the fire risk assessment in relation to the building then that is an issue between yourselves and the landlord and the terms of your lease. If you are part of a multi occupancy with common areas then the landlord is responsible for the fir
  4. BS5839 currently require that; The method of operation of all manual call points in a system should be that of type A as specified in BS EN 54-11. All call points should be identical unless there is a special reason for differentiation.
  5. A short extract that I prepared for a client recently with a similar question. Cant remember wear I took most of the text from. In many premises a fire may be obvious to everyone as soon as it starts (e.g. in a simple open plan village hall). In these cases, where the number and position of exits and the travel distance to them is adequate, a simple shout of ‘fire’ or a simple manually operated device, such as a gong, whistle or air horn that can be heard by everybody when operated from any single point within the building, may be all that is needed. Where an alarm given from any single p
  6. If you are referencing to the Installation Company” I am presuming that it is a relatively new install. Approved fire door sets, that are properly installed should not have this problem. I would recommend that you as the” responsible person” have the situation investigated by a “competent person”, whoever picks up the bill (different argument) As you are now aware of the issue, and in the future the worst was to happen, you need to be mindful of the blame game, and as the “responsible person” you do all that is practicable.
  7. In normal office building there is not reason for the sound to be so high as top cause discomfort. A sound level of 65db is required as a minimum but this could be reduced lower in certain circumstances. In any case the sound pressure levels should not be greater than 120 dB(A) at any normally accessible point. As long as the levels are correct in relation to the requirements of the standards governing the installation of the fire alarm system, and it is not just a case of over sensitive hearing, (sorry ladies) you could ask the service company to turn down the sound levels on the devi

    Automatic Windows

    Vents are normally designed as vents, Purely for Smoke Control or Vents designed for Smoke Control and Environmental use. When vents are designed and constructed, the mechanism will be designed around the perceived usage taking into consideration the amount of times the vent will be operated in the designed life span of the units, mindful of testing , maintenance, false alarm rates etc. Vents designed purely as Smoke Control will have a lower factor in relation to quantity of operations than Vents designed as both Smoke Control and for Environmental use. These will have a highe
  9. The short answer is that, For installations in non domestic buildings, twin and earth cables normally used in normal electrical installations is not suitable or compliant with the requirements for the installation of Fire Detection and Alarm Systems. A system installed in this way would not be compliant to BS5839-1. With a bit more info about the site and the installation I would be able to point you in the right direction as how to proceed and what recommendations you will need to be making to your client so that he can make the decision on what to do.
  10. In general, floor area for a single zone should not exceed 2 000 m2 If the total floor area of the building is greater than 300 m2, each zone should be restricted to a single storey / floor. If the total floor area of the building is less than 300 m2 a zone may cover more than a single storey (mindful of total quantity of devices). For systems using conventional detection (non addressable), the search distance should not exceed 60 m in distance, so a an additional zone would be required if a search distance is greater. detectors within any enclosed stairwell, lift shafts or other encl
  11. Had my tyres changed by a mobile engineer lat week, his van was a mobile workshop, with compressor, generator etc. I did not look to see if he had an extinguisher in the van, (he had everything else) but this I assume would be classed as a work place all be it was on wheels and in turn should have been fitted out with suitable portable extinguishers.
  12. HI From a user point, the system is required to be checked on a weekly bases (commonly referred t as the weekly bell test), this is normally carried out at the same time each week. If you are part of a multi occupancy and the Fire Panel is controlled by others (the landlord) you should expect some form of interaction with him on a weekly bases when the testing is taking place wear he or his representative should be checking that you have heard the bells / sounders and that there are no issues to report such as concerns over sound levels. If he is not, Have a word? This gives the opp
  • Create New...