New shop unit

ukblade

Hello,

We are dividing our shop into 2 smaller units.

The "new" unit is 3.5m wide and 18m deep, it only has a front access of double front doors.

I'm trying to find out if we need to install another exit as a fire escape or if there's a maximum depth of unit that doesn't require another exit.

The only option I would have if we have to have one is for it to exit into my shop unit, which isn't really a great option.

I have a Coffee shop that would like to rent with a seating of 40 persons.

Many thanks, Mark.

You need to discuss your proposals with the Building Control Department because it is up to them to decide what is acceptable and what is not. My concerns would be if a fire broke out between the exit doors and the back of the shop this would mean the occupants would have to bypass the fire to get to the final exit. I used to have a rule of thumb that the depth must not exceed the width to a ratio of three to one which would mean the depth of your coffee shop would be limited to 10.5 m. But if you was to locate the coffee making facilities at the back of the shop and reduce any fire risks in the premises BC may accept your proposals as it meets the travel distances in one direction. 

As for an alternative escape into the adjacent premises is not acceptable, for many reasons, it needs to be an independent route.

The guidance they will use will most probably be https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/441669/BR_PDF_AD_B2_2013.pdf