what smoke detectors; Class F or Class D?

tellme_why

Good day,

May I ask your advice for an owner-occupied dwelling (about 120 sqm) built in the sixties and extended (one kitchen + bigger lounge) in 1995.

What is the minimum building regulation requirements for smoke/fire alarm; shall a class F (battery operated) or class D (mains powered) system?

I would like to avoid class D system since it requires new cables and the ceiling has just been plastered and painted.. so I would prefer a battery only system...

many thanks

If you have carried out work subject to the Building Regulations then any resultant smoke & heat alarms required must be Grade D hard wired. A decent contractor can fit these without too much mess and you shouldn't need cables linking them everywhere if you use radio linked bases (http://www.safelincs.co.uk/radio-interlinked-smoke-alarms/)

If it is your own home, you are not renting it out or using it as a HMO, then you can fit anything you want although the use of Grade F alarms is increasingly associated with fire fatalities due to battery removal or failure to replace flat batteries, if you are going down this route sealed long life (10 year) units are best (http://www.safelincs.co.uk/10-year-sealed-battery-smoke-alarms/)

At the end of the day it's a choice of what price your safety, you are far far more likely to die from fire in your own home than in any type of commercial premises, including hotels.