Fire safety measures when renting out

Guest ausstinsm

Guest ausstinsm

I own a flat that I am intending to rent out. I would like to make sure that it is as safe as possible for any of my tenants and that I am compliant with any regulations. It is a second story flat. The communal areas have fire safety measures installed by the council who own the lease. What do I need within the flat? Do the fire alarms have to be mains operated?

The common areas are subject to the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, which is the councils responsibility, but the flat is exempt from the regulations, however there are new regulations, due to come in force soon, which will require you to fit a domestic fire detector and a CO detector in all rented premises.

It says,

a smoke alarm is equipped on each storey of the premises on which there is a room used wholly or partly as living accommodation.

a carbon monoxide alarm is equipped in any room of the premises which is used wholly or partly as living accommodation and contains a solid fuel burning combustion appliance.

It does not say a mains detector but I would install mains detectors with battery backup.

Check Out http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2015/9780111133439/contents

• 8 months later...