Mrs

Guest Julia King

Guest Julia King

Hi

I live in a purpose built ground floor flat and would like to replace the glass within the lounge door frame.  The current lounge door is the original from 1970 (a fire door which may no longer meet new requirements i.e it is solid wood frame, self-closing with two separated large pieces of wire mesh glass taking up most of the door area). The front door to the flat is a fire door.  The front door leads to the internal hallway with doors to 2 bedrooms, the lounge and the bathroom.  The kitchen door comes off the lounge and is the furthest away from the front door.  The kitchen has no other doors, other than the one from the lounge to the kitchen.  When exiting the flat, the front door leads to a small raised landing (3 steps up from the ground floor) and then a 1m entrance area before the main communal front doors (which serve 2 other flats) - there are no communal fire doors.

I have read that a ground floor flat does not necessarily need internal fire doors and wondered if the layout of my flat and the fact it is ground floor with newly installed opening windows of about 1m high by 55cm wide in each room (except the bathroom) and so providing an alternative means of escape, means that I could replace the glass in the door with toughened decorative glass?

Floor plan.pdf