Cars with LPG

nervousandy

Hello, i`m looking for an extinguisher to keep in my classic car that runs on petrol and LPG, would this be suitable? I`d prefer Co2 to powder due to the lack of mess, but all car ones seem to be powder based. What would you recommend? Would foam be an alternative?

Many thanks in advance,

Andy

Hello, i`m looking for an extinguisher to keep in my classic car that runs on petrol and LPG, would this be suitable? I`d prefer Co2 to powder due to the lack of mess, but all car ones seem to be powder based. What would you recommend? Would foam be an alternative?

Many thanks in advance,

Andy

Hi Andy

CO2 extinguishers are great as they leave no mess behind, but I would not recommend them for a car. The way a CO2 works is it quickly removes the oxygen which feeds the fire, thus killing the fire. Unfortunately the high pressurisation of the CO2's mean that when used on things like chip fat, oil, liquid fuel (i.e. petrol) the blast of CO2 can actually spread the liquid and make the fire much worse. Powder extinguishers are the most versatile because they can be used on electrical fires within the car and are safe to use on liquid fuel fires.

Foam extinguishers are water based so they would not be suitable for any electrical fires (the most common cause of car fires are electrical or engine faults).

I would recommend going for a powder extinguisher

If your classic car catches fire, it's better to be safe and make sure you stop the fire than keeping it clean and maybe lose the whole thing!