Fire door Frame thickness and Seal question

TONY74

Hi All,

Hope all are well this evening?

I have been looking at our companies documents on on our fire doo survey sheets it requests frame thickness. What does this refer too and how would it be measured please.

I have also noticed on one of our double leaf sets. Around the frame it has 1 x 20mm intumescent seal. Where the door meets on the closing edge it has 1 x 10mm. Surely this is in correct?

Again we have no certificates or O&M manual for this door 

Thanks Team

Hi Tony,

All good thanks 🙂

Q1)  I have been looking at our companies documents on on our fire door survey sheets it requests frame thickness. What does this refer too and how would it be measured please. Again we have no certificates or O&M manual for this door.   A1) The door frame thickness and material is important so that it complies with the certification for the fire door leaf but clearly without certification to refer to you can't check it.  If there's a Certification label or plug on the door leaf you may be able to trace the door leaf to the manufacturer and obtain the certification.  The thickness of the door frame is commonly minimum 30mm thickimage.png.be0038d60afffe926eba82c644f71621.png

Q2) I have also noticed on one of our double leaf sets. Around the frame it has 1 x 20mm intumescent seal. Where the door meets on the closing edge it has 1 x 10mm. Surely this is in correct? Again we have no certificates or O&M manual for this door.    A2)  Usually there would be one 20mm intumescent seal in the meeting edge of the main leaf or possibly one 10mm seal in both meeting edges but offset, not opposing eachother. Again you need the door leaf certification to find out the exact specification. 

Hi Neil,

I have attached a photograph to assist. At the top of the frame we have 1 x 20mm seal. then on both hinge sides (double door set FD30) we have 1 x 10mm seal.

Hinge sides of both leaf we have 1 x 10mm and they will meet with the frame seals if they expand.

On one Leaf where the doors meet when it closes it has one x 10 mm seal.

I take this is incorrectly fitted, or replacement doors with 10mm seals

20MM X 10MM.pdf

Its most likely that because these are double-leaf doors, the fire resistance performance test included wider intumescent seals at the top edge to mitigate the effects of the extra width (eg. two leaves rather that one)  at a point where the intensity of the heat is greater (eg. heat rises and risk of failure would likely be at the top edge and meeting edges).

The doors would be manufactured to the same specification as those that were fire tested.