Self-closers in an HMO let to professionals etc

Guest John

Hi

I have fire doors fitted throughout various HMOs that I manage. They have intumescent strips and, in one case, Perko concealed self-closers. Are self-closing mechanisms actually compulsory on bedroom doors (tenants hate them)? And are Perkos sufficient or do they have to be the horrible free swinging ones?

Thank you 

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/01/2023 at 16:21, Guest John said:

Hi

I have fire doors fitted throughout various HMOs that I manage. They have intumescent strips and, in one case, Perko concealed self-closers. Are self-closing mechanisms actually compulsory on bedroom doors (tenants hate them)? And are Perkos sufficient or do they have to be the horrible free swinging ones?

Thank you 

Hi, perko door closers are not recommend for fire doors as they do not have a latch control adjustment and do not always fully close the door into the frame. You mention swing free closers, a swing free overhead closer requires a power supply and to be linked to your active system(alarm) which when alarm activates the closer converts from swing free to self closing.

Or were you maybe just meaning a normal fire rated overhead door closer but thinking they are all swing free? And you dislike O/H closers?

regards George Drayton