How can I protect fire exits?

Guest MichaelV

Guest MichaelV

I lease a building which I sublet a couple of floors to. These floors use a side entrance to the building that is protected by a gate which is padlocked shut when building is empty and a door which is chubb and yale locked and can also be opened via an entry phone system.

Last night, one of the floors got padlocked in by mistake and has prompted me to think about replacing the gates with a door that can be operated easily in an emergency or in case they get locked in by mistake again.

Can you suggest some solutions with rough costs and also quote for doors that can be operated using an entry system and ones that can be just be left opened to allow access.

Thanks.

Hi Michael

Whilst you can lock up buildings if they are unoccupied and as long as there is absolutely no risk of anybody getting trapped, an easier and safer option is to install emergency bolts or latches. These are suitable for commercial buildings where the occupants are mainly staff.

Some of these have also keypads or locks on the outside that allow overriding of the lock if the door is used for access.

Harry