Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Safelincs Fire Safety Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Selling Share of Freehold - FRA - Fire Door

Featured Replies

Hi guys,

I’m trying to sell my purpose built flat which is a share of a freehold with no management company.

The building was constructed in 2007 and I purchased my flat in 2021. The building is comprised of 3 flats one on top of the other.

I’ve had to get an FRA done which has identified some recommendations with the fire doors to 2 of the 3 flats.

I’m now in a bit of a stalemate with the buyer’s solicitor regarding upgrading the doors.

The building layout is a single stairwell to the middle and top floor and the ground floor flat door opens up onto a small shared courtyard outside

The flat being sold is the top floor flat. The FRA has not identified any issues with this (my) front door

The middle floor flat door was changed a couple of years ago by the co-freeholder / owner and isn’t compliant with any Fire standards as it’s PVC. The owner has contacted the builder who changed the door and he’s has agreed to rectify this free of charge.

Now for the problem flat… The ground floor flat who’s door opens up to the outside has been identified as non compliant with current standards because of it’s construction and proximity to the single stairwell to the middle and top floor flat.

The co freeholder / owner of the ground floor flat isn’t the nicest of people and has tried to derail my sale since day 1

(Side point - the buyer knows all this and still is eager to proceed with the purchase)

What are my options regarding the ground floor or what can I say to the buyer’s solicitor to end the stalemate as at the moment they have said I must rectify “all recommendations” on the FRA?

I’ve done a little research myself and as far as I’m aware I can’t force someone to upgrade a door that was installed when the building was constructed and compliant at the time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

IMG_7804.jpeg

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.