Fire Safety for Child Care Facilities

Guest Mariella Schembri

Guest Mariella Schembri

Hi. 

I am working on a fire safety report for a development which shall be used for the care of young children (0-3 years old). I am designing the fire safety in accordance with BS 9999. During the analysis I am making reference to Clause 14.1 b which specifies that "The creche should preferably be adjacent to an external wall and should not have fewer than two exits, one of which should be a final exit". Can someone please guide me as to what it means that one of the exits should be a final exit? Shouldn't both be final exits?

For example, is escape to an external yard from which one cannot escape to the street away from the building considered as a good exit?

Thanks.

Kind Regards, 

Mariella Schembri

image.png

image.png

It means one should be a final exit to open air, the other can be a storey exit to the protected internal route (which would also be used for normal access)

An enclosed yard is not acceptable as it is not a place of ultimate safety, if the building takes hold the radiated heat, smoke and toxic fumes would still harm the people in the yard (look at the Bradford Fire where people on the edge of the pitch ignited when the flames were still along the back of the upper stand)