Jump to content
Guest dorothperk

How do I know if my CO alarm went off because of Carbon Monoxide?

Recommended Posts

Guest Kit

 OK so I've been searching through and what I'm wondering is is when it goes off and you think it is a carbon monoxide excess what do you have to do to be able to get back into your home, just open windows and air it out and for how long? Do you have to come in and scrub walls wash fabrics?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carbon monoxide does not smell and is colourless, so there is no point in scrubbing or cleaning anything.

How long you ventilate depends on how much ventilation is carried out and the duration of said ventilation.

If you were to open a small window in one room and there is no "through draft" it would take considerably longer to ventilate than if you were to open all the windows in the house (and doors to allow a through draft)

A carbon monoxide alarm will stop sounding when the levels are safe.

I would also make a physical note of the time and what appliances were on at that time, and also was anyone parked outside / in the garage (if you have one) as cars also give out carbon monoxide. The idea being if it happens often you should soon be able to track down the cause of the carbon monoxide.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Alarm sound help!

Please help, family of 6 here. 1am I heard 4 beeps, then a long pause, then 4 more beeps. It's been over an hr almost 1.5 hr. Nothing after. I'm not even positive it was co alarm just have never heard this alarm in my life so am worried. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it was 4 beeps in succession it may be that you have a "fire angel" CO alarm and that it did detect CO But if there is lots of CO then the detector would NOT stop beeping. Why don't you press the test button on the CO alarm to find out what it sounds like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest saved us

My Co alarm went off last week 4 beeps then paused then 4 beeps then paused. I called 999 as was told to. Then cleared us out flat and aired flat. Turned off main gad and next day gas man came out to confirm we had a leak. Just goes to show u never leave it as we changed battery and it stoped and we had a leak. It saved our life's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A carbon Monoxide (CO) detector will not detect natural gas which is principally methane (CH4) but you can get detectors that will recognise methane and carbon monoxide. Natural gas can be detected by smell but carbon monoxide cannot so it is very important that you keep your CO detector in good working order.

I think this incident was a coincidental but nevertheless the outcome was great.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×