Having concerns about the shoddy workmanship of a company fitting new doors in the block of flats I live in,that is front door to flat,corridor doors,stairwell doors,shuteroom doors and storage cupboard,I purchased a gap gauge from Safelincs.When I used the gauge I was surprised to find that the gap on the two corridor doors on my floor was so big it virtually swallowed the gap gauge.Out of ten stairwell doors seven of those doors had an incorrect door gap.

So simple question,should I be concerned or just simply ignore it.

Hi Gordon

I assume this large gap is on the top or sides of the door? The gap gauge is not used for the space underneath the fire door.

If this large gap is around the sides and top there is indeed a problem and the doors are most likely incorrectly fitted.

Harry

Afternoon Harry,

Many thanks for your reply.The incorrect gap is on the top and sides of the doors.Some of the doors have what I would call an inconsistant gap.By that I mean that at some point the gap is at the recommended gap and the rest of the door the gap is incorrect. From my observations with regards the workmanship I do not think the company carrying out the work has had a job on such a scale. They have maybe fitted the occasional fire door but not a block of flats with 60 flats. As there are three blocks that is 180 flats,which means a lot of doors.

Gordon.

Hi Harry,

The new fire doors have indeed been fitted into existing frames.With regards drawing attention to the problem that is a problem itself.The Asset Manager who is responsible for the project has thanked me for my concerns about safety for tenants but has no wish to correspond with me. So I got in touch with the Fire and Rescue services and a member has sent photos to the Housing Trust. Do not know whether this is because of the photos, but last week two workmen were removing the plain intumescent seal on one door and replaced it with a fire and smoke seal. As an example of how bad the company are,it took three weeks before numbers were put in place on front doors.When I questioned why was told,tenants should know where they live by now.

Gordon.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.