Jump to content
Guest Sharyn

CO alarm in loft

Recommended Posts

Guest Sharyn

I have had a boiler fitted in my loft. The loft is boarded out and used as a room where someone . We are having a rewire now (it's a 1930s house) and not sure where is best place for hard wired carbon monoxide tester. Electricians says it can go on the landing under the oft but we are worried this would not dedect the carbon monoxide as it would rise? Can you advise where would be the best palce to put this detector?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Search the web for "location of CO detector" get an overview of the subject, like http://www.carbonmonoxidedetectorplacement.com/uk/ then purchase your CO detectors and install them according to the manufacturers instructions. Remember they are designed to warn people in the room they are installed and CO is lightly to be warm, slightly lighter than air, so the CO will rise not fall consequently I would think the electricians advice is suspect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Tom, Carbon monoxide is generally considered to be the same density as air, but since it is often hot, it rises.

I would guess (and it is only a guess) that your electrician is either confused or misunderstanding about carbon monoxide, allow me.

Carbon monoxide is the same density as air and so it generally sits there. Its chemical formula in words is CO

Carbon dioxide is heaver than air and will always fall to the lowest point that it can. Its chemical formula in words is CO2

I often find that people do not realise this fact and will often call a carbon monoxide detector a carbon dioxide detector or label its supply as  "CO2 detector" when it should be "CO detector"

I am guessing your electrician thinks that any carbon monoxide produced will "fall through the gap in the loft hatch" and activate the alarm. As I said carbon monoxide will not do that but carbon dioxide would fall through the gap. (But not set off a carbon monoxide alarm)

 

Carbon dioxide is what makes fizzy drinks fizzy. And is only lethal in large volumes

Carbon monoxide is the product of improper combustion and is lethal in minute volumes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

It is worth keeping in mind that a CO alarm in the loft might not be heard downstairs.

My family had a brush with CO from a leaky chimney stack in the loft area. The first we knew was when a CO alarm in one of the kids bedrooms on the top floor was warning us about CO. The gas had made its way through the loft hatch.

The best solution would be to have CO alarms both in the loft as well as below.

Harry

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×