Joanna McD

Advice please on new sofa bought without any fire protection labels

Hello there,

I have had a quick look through and can't see a problem similar to mine already posted but apologies if this has been answered before.

My Dad purchased a new three piece suite through an ebay seller. It said the product location was London, he paid almost £3,000 for it. It was delivered last Friday (came from Poland) but it has no permanent Fire safety label and no removable fire safety label. Having done some research we are very concerned with this.

We asked the seller why it has no labels and he has simply sent a screen shot of a fire safety label for us to print down along with reassurance it is safe as it was made within the EU!

We aren't happy with this but he is stating no refunds.

Can I ask (A) should sofas made in the EU have the labels attached and (b) if te seller is in the UK shouldn't he have made sure it had them before selling to us?

We are so worried at the potential danger.

Any advice/guidance is appreciated.

Many thanks, Jo.

I believe you will find it is just a UK address that was used, so it is NOT a UK seller, I myself have ordered products listed on ebay, (UK address) only to find they come direct from China.

If you paid by credit card or PayPal they may be able to help.

If the manufacturer is outside the UK then they are not subject to the Furniture-and-furnishings-fire-safety-regulations-19881989-and-1993/ however if any manufacturer/supplier/retailer is in the UK they are subject to the FFFSR.

The enforcing autority is the trading standards and you should contact the local office and present your case to them.

From a reliable source it appears that Trading Standards challenged Amazon about this, pointing out that Amazon provides a guarantee and deals with any problems therefor it is a supplier; however, Amazon kept insisting that they are in effect not a supplier. Trading Standards paid for legal advice which concluded that Amazon, Ebay, etc, are in fact suppliers but this does not appear to have had any effect. Amazon did agree to remove the item that Trading Standards had focussed on but not by agreeing they were suppliers, i.e. they are still supplying plenty of other non-compliant bits of furniture.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.