Guest guest

door closing, not fully closing

Guest guest

i recently carried out a FRA of a converted house, which a local authority bought over and changed the use to a hostel/ temp accomodation for homeless. Several fd's were nit closing fully, i stated the closers require adjusting to allow the door to close fully. This did not work and an engineer is saying its must be a vacuum in the room. Has anyone came across this and have any possible solutions?

I have been involved where wind pressure on one side of a building and low on the opposite side has prevented the doors on the high pressure side not to close properly. However I can see see in a well insulated room with an extractor fan or something similar, a partial vacuum could be created, preventing the closer properly closing the door, but if you open a window this will equalize the pressure and the door should shut normally.

Guest dennis field

I work on maintenance in an old peoples retirement home where door closers on each room operate at fire emergency times.as you can expect many of the old folk need their room Windows closed at all times which means closers won't close completely because of vacuum/air pressure.I am trying to solve this problem with spring loaded air flaps on inside of airbrick.l need to locate flaps.any help would be appreciated.  Regards dennis

Guest Carpenter

I'm having this exact issue--fire door with commercial closer will shut fully, but won't latch when there is no airflow available--but when an adjacent door is cracked to allow air flow, the fire door latches fully.

If the fire door does not close due to the resistance of the latch/air pressure you need a fire door closer with "latching action". The Geze TS4000 for example has the latching action as well as plenty of power to close even heavier doors reliably. However, there are many other makes and models as well.

Harry

Guest Vacum problem!

I took your advice, Safelincs. I fitted Geze 4000 to the doors. Set to very near maximum. It only went and worked on the non-ventilated rooms. The firedoor did not slam badly when the window was open.

Thank you.

Guest WINDY

Communal door to block of flats does not self close in windy conditions. The door opens inwards.

If the door opened outwards would it close because the wind would push it shut ? 

Should communal doors act like fire doors and self close in windy conditions ?

Guest JAck

wouldn't you want front doors to the communal to close to ensure no access for a wannabe Arson.. ?