Jump to content

A rise of 25% in people being admitted to hospital with CO poisoning.


Recommended Posts

In my area there has been a rise of 25% in people being admitted to hospital with CO poisoning, not all will be fatalities but those others will suffer the side effects, which can be devastating. CO affects all the organs of the body including the brain, resulting in many cases of memory loss and other debilitating illnesses, so get a CO detector. The new Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015 doesn't go far enough, so protect yourself, if you have any devices using fossil fuels. (Gas, coal, timber, oil etc.) This is not a sales pitch get your CO detectors anywhere, you choose, but protect yourself today and Safelincs will provide any help you need.

From Safelincs.

What is carbon monoxide

Carbon monoxide is created as a by-product of incomplete combustion of fuels containing carbon such as wood, gas, oil, etc. It occurs, if boiler flues are getting blocked, chimneys close up or if gas flames are not correctly adjusted. As Carbon monoxide (also called short CO) cannot be smelled or tasted the increase in CO concentration goes unnoticed. However, even slight increases of CO have serious health implications. You therefore need carbon monoxide detectors to find out if you have CO in your building. If your detector goes off, switch off all fuel burning appliance, open all windows and leave the building. You then need to call your gasboard. 

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning

The symptoms of CO poisoning are similar to those of a viral infection, such as headache, nausea, dizziness, sore throat and dry cough. 
The seriousness of the poisoning depends from the concentration of CO in the air and the duration of exposure.
At 50 ppm (parts per million), an exposure for longer than 30 minutes will start to affect your health. 
At 200 ppm you will get a slight headache after 2-3 hours. 
At 400 ppm strong frontal headache, becoming widespread after 3 hours. 
At 800 ppm Dizziness, nausea, convulsions, insensible after 2 hours.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...