Fire label on leather settee?

Guest SandraMAtt

• 5 months later...
Guest Fire label on each item?

Hi,

Looking to pass on a fabric 3 seater, 2 seater and a chair to a charity (British Heart Foundation). Looking at the sofas which were all bought as a set from a retailer more than 10 years ago, only the single chair has a fire label on it. The 2 and 3 seater just have the care instructions with batch number etc on it. Should each item have it's own label or is it okay if they are part of the same batch?

Thanks,

• 2 months later...
Guest Karen

Hi there- we want to give our sofa away to charity - it's about 15 years old and we still have the labels required-   However they have come away from the staple so detached are these acceptable to give away?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Barbara

Hi Tom,

I have a lovely danish 1960s sofa (ercol style) that I would like to use in a rental property.  It has a polished wooden frame and the cushions, back and armrests are all upholstered in thick leather.  The cushion filling is goose feather.  Would the leather be regarded as fire retardant / fire resistant?

Many thanks

Guest Kim w

Hi,

I have read that fire retardant fabric can lose its effectiveness over time, from normal wear and even from been cleaned.

So if I buy a second hand sofa which has the correct label attached, How do i know the fire retardant material is still effective.

Would you recommend getting a flame retardant coating re-appliwd?

The problem is the only way to see if a material has lost its fire retardant properties would be to test it and that would destroy the piece of furniture. The Fire safety of furniture and furnishings in the home - A Guide to the UK Regulations only deal with the upholstered furniture at the time of manufacture, importing, resale or re-upholstery and to check the documentation for a further five years. Providing the sofa has the appropriate permanent label attached you are legally correct but if you need reassurance then have the flame retardant coating re-applied.

• 3 months later...
Guest Testing Fire regulations !

Hi Tom

Firstly, thank you for taking time to respond to all the questions !

We have a sofa (15 years old!!) in our rented out house. It has no label that we can find, which is strange as it is a Collins and Hayes sofa , and I just think it somehow came off. The problem, that we have is that if we remove the sofa, we need to get fitters to remove balcony doors etc. I have no doubt that it is compliant but just cannot prove it !

There may be labels on the cushions but does there need to be one on the frame itself ?

If we have them on cushions, can we just spray the frame with fire retardant?

Are there companies that "test"?

• 3 weeks later...

There needs to be a permanent label on each separate  item of the sofa and if one has come loose then there isn't much you can do about it especially if it it 15 years old. Records only have to be held for five years, so there is no chance of getting a copy, but if you are happy with it then the only problem to arise, is if you decide to sell it or give it to a charity.

• 1 year later...

Hi. I have read the various replies above. I have a 2 seater settee,which has been re upholstered and the labels presumably been covered up.  I want to give this away , rather than take it to the tip, as it still has a lot of use in it. Am I ok to give it away to general public?  I know charities won't take it.  

Lynn Prime 

In my opinion because it is not for sale and the other person is prepared to accept it, then it is not subject to the regulations but I think you have a moral responsibility to make this person full aware that there is no proof that the settee would be safe in fire situation.

• 1 month later...
Guest Louise

Hi Tom

I have just read your answer to a question about second hand furniture and safety regs 

Could you advise on my scenario please:

I run a mental health support group and rent a building from MOD and they have requested I have all the soft furnishings we have to have fire retardant labels 

We were given this furniture for free  as donations and just wondered where we stand with this situation and if we do have to have them fireproofed how would we go about it 

Thanks

Louise

I suspect this is all about The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 which requires the Responsible Person to conduct a Fire Risk Assessment under article 9 and part of it is reducing or eliminating fire risk to prevent fire starting or spreading.

Upholstered furniture is a fire risk and to reduce that risk appling the Furniture-and-furnishings-fire-safety-regulations-19881989-and-1993/ would achieve that and the label would prove it meets the required standard. You could apply Fire safety of furniture and furnishings in the contract and non-domestic sectors but you would still need the label, just a different label to prove it complies. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi I have a suite that is about 4years old and did have a fire notice when I bought it but it must have came off ,I am wanting to donate this to the Heart Foundation can you tell me will they accept it 

• 2 years later...
Guest Barbara Barnes
On 29/11/2011 at 15:16, Guest Hannah said:

Just to double check. We are a chairty who gives furniture to people in need free of charge. We have a three piece suite where the sofa does not have a fire label but the matching chair does. Are we ok to give the sofa away with the chair (to the same person) even if it doesn't have a fire lable?

• 7 months later...
Guest Jenny Webb

Hello everyone, Have found this conversation very interesting as am in the position of wanting to rent out my house for 2 years but 2 leather sofas, a matching chair & a double mattress are all devoid of the necessary fire labels (all made post 1988)...and the agent said they cannot stay in the house. Storage over 2 years would cost more than the items are worth but I don't want to get rid of them. Does anyone know if I can get these inspected by someone in an official/legal capacity who would then be able to issue a retrospective fire safety label?

• 2 weeks later...