Electricity cupboards

Guest Ryvita

Guest Ryvita

Hello

I share the freehold in a property converted into 3 flats.  We want to upgrade our electricity cupboard which houses the units and meters for each flat.  Is it sufficient that the cupboard be constructed to 30 min fire resistance or does it have to be metal?  I ask because someone mentioned new Wiring Regs.

Thank you

The cupboard can use any suitable materials for 30 minutes. Supalux silicate boarding would be preferable to plasterboard as you can use thinner, lighter sheets.

The new wiring regulations are not retrospective and require new consumer units and similar to be fire resistant (which are usually metal)

• 5 months later...

I've been asked to upgrade a meter cupboard in a building with three converted flats.  The existing cupboard is in the G F Hall and is made of melamine boards (carcass & doors - the doors have kitchen cupboard type hinges).  I can upgrade the carcass with Supalux, but what about the doors & hinges?  Will I need to replace these and plant a frame on the front with proper fire doors and intumescent strips, etc?  I'd appreciate some advice before carrying out the work.

I have done a great deals of research and there is little guidance on this matter the best I found was www.thebuildinginspector.org/HMO%20Fire%20guide.pdf check out page 37.

Most of the guidance simple says upgrade to carcass on the risk side (inner) and fit a FD30s door with steel single axis hinges and what you propose should achieve that. Because it says FD30s door that would mean intumescent and smoke seals are required also the door should be fitted with a lock. You can buy self-adhesive seals which could be more practical and finally check with the enforcing authority (most probably the BCO or AI) that your proposals are acceptable.

• 10 months later...
Guest Nigel wood

Hi

ive got a contradicting question,can anybody help answer it please,

my consumer unit is in a cubourd at roof level at the minute with no door on,if I fit a door,do l need to put ventilation through the door for coolance ? 

Or ,no ventilation,to prevent oxygen feeding a potential fire

thanks for your advice

nigel

Your consumer unit does not need to be cooled, if it developes a fault and starts to overheat the RCB will operate and cut off your supply. Placing a consumer unit in a fire resistance compartment is to protect the area it is located in, not the unit itself, if it was located in a escape route you may be unable to escape from fire if the area was filled with smoke and fire.

• 3 years later...
Guest Bruce Batten

It appears that electrical intake cupboards should provided with

60 minutes fire resistance and be fitted with FD30s lockable doors.

Bruce Batten

Fire project surveyor

Depends on the type of building, what country you are in and what guidance you follow. Plenty of 30 min cupboards out there which are fine. There is often a difference between requirements for the design of a new building and those for existing ones built to legacy codes.