Guest JonCoo

Responsibility for fire alarm system in rented business property

Guest JonCoo

Hello,

Whilst I understand that a business tenant has responsibilities under the legislation I cannot find out if the tenant or the landlord is responsible for the supply and installation of a fire alarm. Any help would be most gratefully received. I can be contacted by email or telephoned on 01656724100.

many thanks
Jon

Under The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 the person or persons defined the Responsible Person (RP) is responsible for the fire alarm. First you would need to establish who the RP or RP's are, using article 3. If you are an employer then you are the RP for your workplace and all the other employers would be the RP of their workplaces and you would have to co operate with each other to provide a fire alarm for the building. The owner or his agent may take over this responsibility but it all depends on your tenancy agreement, as does the costs. I would suggest you contact your solicitor and get them to sort it out with the landlord.

Are you in a multi-occupied premises with shared communal space or a single occupancy premises?

If the latter it's fully in your court, in the former there is usually a communal system across the whole site.

Guest BeverlyWri

I would like to know whether there is a legislation regarding fire alarms in a commercial property and who is responsible for fitting them. Landlord or tenant?

If a fire alarm is required it is the duty of the Responsible Person (RP) to provide it under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005. The RP is defined by article 3 of the fire safety order and article 5 lists his/her duties.

Who installs it and pays for it will depend on your tenancy agreement but in the end it is going to be the tenants through their rent who pay for it. I would think it makes sense for the owner/managing agents to install it because he/she has control of the structure of the building and could recoup any costs through rents. If the RP of each workplace was to install their own they would have to be interconnected and consider the problems with maintenance, it would make more sense if the owner took on this responsibility also its part of the structure which cannot be removed when the tenant leaves.

Guest Please help

Hi I am a salon owner in a communal shopping arcade the landlord didn’t have any smoke detectors or fire extinguishers fitted In the building and a faulty alarm system , the building was recently on the receiving end of an arson attack is my landlord accountable for any loss as he didn’t put in place the correct safety measures 

As an employer or self-employed you are subject to The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 for your premises and the route from your premises to the public thoroughfare. The landlord could be responsible for certain articles as well as yourself, who are subject to them all. You and the other premises are also required to co-operate and co-ordinate as the employers are all Responsible Persons under the regulations.