Guest anna

Handmade cushion covers polyester

Guest anna

Hello I make handmade cushion covers and sell them as the complete set cushion pad (100% polyester) and cover. I'm unsure whether cushion pads need to be labeled with anything saying that they meet fire safety regulations. None of the cushion pads have the label on it and I'm wondering whether I'm doing wrong through selling them.

Please would you be able to help.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards
Anna

Yes they are subject to the regulations and require a shorter label giving only the minimum information. The guidance states,

Scatter cushions and seat pads

The regulatory requirement for scatter cushions and seat pads is that the filling material only must satisfy the relevant ignition test and each individual item must bear a reduced information permanent label (see Section 6.3). A scatter cushion is any small cushion which can be moved to any position in a room and is supplied separately (i.e. not comprising an integral part of an item of upholstered seating). A seat pad is generally accepted to be an especially small cushion intended to be used with items such as a wooden kitchen or dining chair, again here it is not an integral part of any item of upholstered furniture. Whilst the size of a scatter cushion or seat pad is not defined in the Regulations it is commonly accepted that a scatter cushion has dimensions which are less than 60cm x 60cm x nominal product thickness and a seat pad has dimensions no greater than 30cm x 30cm x 1cm thick.

For scatter cushions which are provided with a fitted and non-removable decorative cover the requirement is that a permanent label is attached securely to an exterior surface (often attached to the seam). However, there has been some confusion when the scatter cushion interior pad has been supplied with a zip-on removable cover. This is because the required label refers only to the filling materials for scatter cushions and there are no requirements for the fire resistance of the cover. Hence, if the label is fitted to the zip-on cover and subsequently the cover and filling become separated, or the cover ends up on a different filling, the label would be inaccurate. Enforcement officers accept labels fixed to the interior pads of scatter cushions and suggest that the label protrudes through a partly open zip at the point of sale so it is visible.

Check out http://www.fira.co.uk/document/fira-flammability-guide-october-2011pdf.pdf

Guest Loose covers

Are loose covers required to be fire retarded if they are placed over a sofa with fire retardant material and labels?

Loose or stretch covers are removable covers which are supplied by a producer other than the manufacturer of the furniture. These are designed to be placed on top of an existing finished piece of furniture which is already fitted with a permanent cover. This distinction is made because only the manufacturer of the furniture concerned will have detailed knowledge of how it complies with the Regulations. Loose covers for upholstered furniture must comply with Schedule 5, Part 1 of the Regulations and stretch covers must comply with Schedule 5, Part 2 of the Regulations as these are sold separately from the furniture. They also need to have a permanent label attached to them and this label may appear on the underside of the fabric. There are no display label requirements for loose and stretch covers.