Can we leave fire exit door open?

Guest VickyDav

Guest VickyDav

Hi

We have just been told in my office by our Health and safety person that it is illegal (and we could be fined) for leaving our fire exit door open (we do this for ventelation) now it is not a 'fire door' as far as im aware as no sticker on it!? could you help us to solve this issue as we are missing out fresh air!

Thanks
Vicky

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming it is not a fire resisting door and a final exit door the there is no reason that the door cannot be left open other than for security reasons. Ask the Health and safety person where does it say that it is illegal because I am not aware of such rule.

• 6 months later...

I agree with Harry but everybody needs to understand the terminology.

All doors in a premises that you need to pass through to escape a fire, are fire exit doors and the last fire exit door you have to pass through, usually leading to open air is the final fire exit door. Some fire exit doors are termed Fire Resisting Doors (FD) used to create protected areas and these need to be kept closed usually with self closer's, very rarely would a final exit door need to be fire resistant. All doors not designated FD do not need to be kept closed and can be left open, or wedged if necessary, but must be easily opened at all times the premises is occupied.

The door above seems to be a final exit door, from a fire safety point of view you can keep it wedged open but security is another matter.

• 5 months later...
Guest JuliaCoo

In my premises we have two fire self closing doors we keep closed at all times we also have a side entrance which has a emergency sign above it with a ramp for disabled access into and out of the premises it is not a self closing door and has a push bar from the inside are we allowed by law to keep this door open sometimes?? Thank you

There are exceptions but in most situations final exit doors can be kept open if desired. In this case if there is no self closer then it is not a fire door protecting and external risk consequently there are no reason why it cannot be kept open.

• 1 month later...

Depends if they are fire resistant doors, which cannot be left open, except when in use, or if they are fitted a with an electronic hold open device. If they are final exit doors, which are not fire resistant, then they can be left open but this introduces a security risk.

• 2 years later...
Guest Shay

Sorry to jump in here and ask my own question. I'm new and thought this may be the best place to ask. I also realize the thread is old, but I'm still hoping someone could help.

My fire exit door is at the back of my apartment. It's a regular door with a screen door as well. The screen opens outwards, the door opens inwards. I was told upon moving in, by the landlord, that the door could be opened. I just couldn't open the screen or go out the door. The reason I can't go out there, is because it leads directly into my neighbour's yard. 

My question is, can my fire exit door remain open, or because my neighbour's yard is immediately outside the door, does the door have to remain closed?

I ask because my neighbour is now demanding that the door remain closed.

Guest Shay

Thank you, I appreciate the response. I figured as much, and I told him exactly that. He's a hothead, so I'm trying to handle the situation delicately. I also wanted to have confirmation before definitively telling him that I'm not closing it. I thought worst case scenario, he'd call the Fire Department to get confirmation, and if that were to happen, I first wanted to know that I was in the right. So thanks again for your time.

• 2 months later...
Guest Andy dev

Hi,

Just a quick question: If you leave through a fire exit door will an alarm go off? Or would any one otherwise know? Such as a silent Alarm? I am asking as I left work unknowingly through one and my boss then emailed me telling me I left through said door and I woundered if a big alarm will have gone off or how she would have known? 

Thanks

Guest taughttoolittle

we have one door in and out of each room in our building. They are all marked as fire doors, onto a shared corridor, and we have been propping open the doors to let air in.  We have been told that we cannot do this, for fire afety regs. Is this true.  The door is the only room in and out of the room, onto a corridor, which then leads to a final exit door.

Thanks

If the shared corridor is a protected route then all the doors will be FD30s doors, self closing and if you prop these doors open then it is certainly against the regulations. There should be a mandatory, white lettering on a blue circle sign stating "FIRE DOOR KEEP SHUT" and it is not there to decorate the door.

• 2 months later...

Some great information here, hope you don't mind me asking my own question.

I've just leased a workshop unit on an office block. I share a corridor with another tenant. So there is an entrance door into a shared corridor, then a door on the left which is mine and a door to the right which is his. The two units are designed as one but has now been split.

I met with the other tenant recently and he told me that I was not allowed to use my door on the left as an entrance, that it had to be kept shut for fire safety regulations and that I had to use the back entrance. He said he had this in writing and that he would be shut down if we didn't follow this. I've attached a photo of the wooden doors he says I have to keep shut and a photo of the rear blue doors he said I'm suppose to use as my entrance. I'd really appreciate and comments on the matter. I'm waiting to hear back from the landlord as we speak. 

From reading other comments here and learning more about the door types I can't see any truth in what he has told me.

20170811_170456.jpg

20170811_170320.jpg

Sounds like utter rubbish to me as there is nothing in any of the fire safety guides to support this and I think that the other tenant is just wanting to keep the main entrance for themselves.

As long as the double fire doors are fitted with self closer and not wedged open there is absolutely no reason not to use them as a personnel access point.

Also the BS radar is beeping with the reference to 'closing down'. The way Fire Safety enforcement works is that Prohibition Notices are rarely used and usually reserved for sleeping risk premises with multiple issues such as poor compartmentation, inadequate fire detection & alarms, i.e. an immediate risk of death or serious injury. In commercial premises as yours most breaches are dealt with informally by a fire safety letter (often called a notice of deficiencies/agreed action plan/etc) only escalating to a formal Enforcement Notice for continued non compliance or particularly severe/multiple offences.

17 hours ago, AnthonyB said:

Sounds like utter rubbish to me as there is nothing in any of the fire safety guides to support this and I think that the other tenant is just wanting to keep the main entrance for themselves.

As long as the double fire doors are fitted with self closer and not wedged open there is absolutely no reason not to use them as a personnel access point.

Also the BS radar is beeping with the reference to 'closing down'. The way Fire Safety enforcement works is that Prohibition Notices are rarely used and usually reserved for sleeping risk premises with multiple issues such as poor compartmentation, inadequate fire detection & alarms, i.e. an immediate risk of death or serious injury. In commercial premises as yours most breaches are dealt with informally by a fire safety letter (often called a notice of deficiencies/agreed action plan/etc) only escalating to a formal Enforcement Notice for continued non compliance or particularly severe/multiple offences.

Thought as much, spoke to the landlord and he said it's rubbish. Thanks for replying.

• 2 weeks later...

From reading all the useful posts here Im pretty sure of the answer but I wish to ask, just to be sure, about my situation.

I live in a converted grade 2 hotel, turned into 6 flats, 2 on each floor inc the ground floor. There is 1 external door leading into the communal hallway. This door has been propped open for years and while it has a self closer its there for security reasons.

We've recently been told "its a fire door and must be kept shut". We dont believe this to be true. Theres no marking on the door to show its a firedoor or even fire resistant. Its got 2 plain, standard, glass panels, and 2 lower panels, thinner than the door width.

From everything I've read external doors dont have to be kept closed for fire reasons, only security. As security is not a concern I believe they are lying because one tenant, whose parents are part freeholders, has been causing trouble lately and has complained about it (despite leaving it open himself).

Just looking for a little clarification before I tell them to stick it. They seem to enjoy giving out rules they dont follow themselves. I can attach a picture of the door, if it matters.

thanks in advance for any advice.

• 3 weeks later...

Fire doors NO, if they remain open they will not function as required, final exit doors, that do not need to be fire doors, YES. It all depends also on what you means by retainer, if it is an electronic hold open device, then it could be acceptable on certain fire doors.

• 4 months later...
Guest Peter

We live in a ground floor 1 bedroom flat. In a retirement home our patio doors open inwards. And I do worry if there was fire or you fell against them . A person wouldn’t be able to open them is there a satiety rule for patio doors