Guest JenniferKn

Can a fire exit be used as daily entry point?

All routes and exits from a building can be used for normal ingress and egress, there is no legal restrictions placed on them, it is only when there is an emergency, they become emergency exits. Under normal use of the exit routes the management could place rules, if they choose, limiting their use but they all require to be available in the case of an emergency.

Ideally not for health & safety purposes, but with some of the older building stock in the UK it can be unavoidable. Of course 'road' can be anything from a low traffic volume side street to a major arterial route - a risk assessment would be needed to balance the issues of escape v live highway risks

Hi and thank you for letting me join. 

This may have been covered already so please forgive me. 

I represent a local community group in Scotland and we have recently been given sole use of premises which we aim to use as a food pantry, school holiday lunch club and a cooking on a shoe string kitchen where we will educate people on how to prepare and cook simple meals on a low budget. This will have a need to prepare and cook food in an already established kitchen and will of course have a need for table top hot plates and ovens etc. The premises are part of a community hall which is well over 100 years old and is up a flight of stairs and on the 2nd level. The premises have only one way in and one way out which is onto a public car park. Can I ask if the main entrance to the premises can be used as a means of an escape due to the nature of the intended use? 

Regards.

Guest no entry sing on fire exit

hello, is it against the law for someone to put a no enrty sign they have printed themselves onto a fire exit door, as this has happened where i work? and i now have to walk all the way around the back of the room and through 2 secrity doors to get into the room from the other side...please anyone let me know. as i want to put a greivence report in at work.