StevieB

Ei141 still beeps after battery replacement

Low battery is usually indicated by a "chirp" once every 60 seconds, if it were low battery I would not have expected it to stop.

I have to ask, when was the last time you cleaned the smoke detector? and out of curiosity what brand of battery have you been using?, and how old is the detector?

Guest Frustrated

Hi all

yes - we thought we had the same problem and replaced all the batteries - still chirping -  3 replaced and reset - still chirping - after 2 days , finally realised it was the carbon monoxide unit behind the curtain. After reading previous posts, I now realise the human ear cannot detect where certain high pitched sounds are coming from !!

Hay Ho -  the batteries WERE out of date so hard wired system Ok. The carbon monoxide unit is outside chirping by our resident garden mole !!

Guest Pammie

I have removed and disconnected the wiring from 2 E!141 from my hallway and landing but I can still hear chirping despite the circuit for the smoke alarms being switched off. It's really annoying because I can't see another smoke detector anywhere. I even checked the attic but I can't hear the chirping up there. It seems to still come from the locations where the smoke detectors were. Just wondering if the wiring is set up in such a way that it chirps if one removes the alarms from the circuit>

Hi Pammie, the most likely culprit is a CO alarm with a low battery sitting on a shelve or in a drawer. Neither the cabling nor the base of an EI141 will be able to beep.

Harry

Guest Harry M

Hi Harry,

I have a couple of these alarms installed in my property, which are also linked to heat sensors.

The smoke alarm in our utility room went off - potentially due to steam from the tumble-drier (although this has never happened before). We turned the alarm off, however every 5-10 minutes the alarms would go off again, and not low battery beep, i mean properly going off.

Eventually I removed the cover along with the battery from the culprit so that we could at least sleep.

Why would the alarm still be going off? There was no steam near the sensor for about 45 mins and it still went off every 5-10 minutes...

When i removed the cover, it gave me the "replace battery" beep ( i think ) and then died a death (sounded like a robot losing power).

thanks!!

What may have happened the steam condensed on the electronics of the smoke alarm causing short circuits, which is likely to cause problems until it is fully dried out.

The noise that sounded like a robot losing power, is likely to be capacitors drain down, it also happens when you remove the battery and press the hush/test button. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.