Ei141 still beeps after battery replacement

StevieB

I don't really know but I do know that electronic devices when they are interconnected they sometimes work on a master and slave principal, using pin switches. You should contact the manufacturer and see if something similar is happening with the smoke/heat detectors?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

1st off - great forum, thanks.

I have 3 of these in my house, 1 on each floor of my 7.5 year old house..

The top floor unit started chirping about 2 days ago.

Today I replaced all batteries with Duracell (wow I did not know they were that expensive!).

The chirping did not stop.

I then disconnected the mains, pulled all covers off, vacuumed them and replaced.

Chirping did not stop.

I then set the alarm off using toast...(!). then wafted a tea towel until the alarm stopped.

Chirping did not stop.

15 minutes later there was a double chirp from each sensor (reset).

Chirping did not stop.

I disconnected the mains (green light off).

Chirping did not stop.

I then swapped them all round i.e. top floor to middle floor, middle to bottom, bottom to top.

Chirping did not stop.

It's driving me mad and I have not slept...

I want to take a hammer to the whole system except for the fact that I have 2 small children.

Any guidance gratefully accepted.

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have just replaced the battery (Duracell MN1604 - expires 2019) in a Ei141 Ionisation unit (replace Jan 2018). I followed the instructions to press the button after a battery replacement but the red LED keeps flashing at 10 second intervals and then there is a double beep after a few minutes. The mains supply looks fine and the other two units in the house are operating normally (40 second between red LED flash).

Any ideas?

Many thanks

• 1 month later...

You say the base cannot beep but, like others, mine is. I definitely only have two alarms, one ground floor one first floor. The ground floor one is not beeping. I've taken the head off the first floor one, disconnected the battery, moved it far away, turned off all lights and all sockets in the house and STILL the base is beeping every 40 seconds. I stand right under it and hear it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dipesh

Hi I have Ei141 and it's just started beeping. Sticker says to replace by 2022. I have taken the head off and removed battery still beeps. Then I pressed the test button without battery fitted and it has stopped. But when I put the battery back on and clip it on the same thing happens beep beep beep. What can this be??

Guest Steve

Hi. My smokealarm sounds wierd.. Like a clock.. Its not Beeping Its just hacking .. The Green light is on . But the red light is giving signal as well.. Do I have to change the battery or?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve

This sounds like you have a power supply problem – this needs to be looked at by an electrician. The sound and beep are not normal indicators so there is a potential issue here with either a loose connection or even a surge of power which is affecting the alarm and can cause damage.

Harry

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Rob Coote

Hi we have 2 ei141 smoke detectors and they keep going off whenever they want I've replaced the battery's but still it keeps going off please help what should I do

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 brand new Ei141RC ionisation smoke alarms. 1 has started beeping every 40 seconds. I have removed the battery, switched off the power via the fuse box and it still beeps from the ceiling base fitting, I did not replace the alarm. Do I need to remove the battery from the 2nd device? I have also vacuumed without success. Thanks

Guest guest151

Hi i have an EI141 smoke alarm and it seems to be beeping from the base plate,

The beeping occurs around every 40 seconds and i have tried all the methods listed here to try and solve the problem.

I've replaced the batteries with brand new ones, cleaned the alarm, pressing the test button to discharge etc. with no luck.

The beeping has gone on for a few hours now and any advice would be great.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two Ei141 alarms. This is a new house and the builder did not leave any instructions, so only discovered the make when replacing a battery. I am sure I saw a replace by date when my son fitted the new battery downstairs but can not find it now. Now I am rather disabled an forbidden to climb steps. The upstairs alarm started beeping at 4.30am and went on for hours, You need a full length step ladder and then lean over the banister! Tried turning off the appropriate electric fuse, and yes I did climb up my short step ladder to reach th fuse box. I know they have to be fitted at the highest point, I may be old but my brain still works BUT why does some firm not produce a smoke alarm that drops down with a remote button? There seems to be one in America

You can get a test and hush remote controller, but unfortunately not for your alarms, which would means you would have to buy new alarms and your son would still have to do the ladder climbing to change batteries and such. I am 79 sporting a blue badge and I simple get my son to do the lot, I looked after him for years now its his turn. :rolleyes:

Check out http://www.safelincs.co.uk/search.php?q=hush+and+test&a=products

There is such a thing as a "remote hush button"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOlCMA2ZOQM

However, it only works in "alarm conditions" it will not silence a "low battery" alarm.

I would however suggest that you ask your son to change the batteries in all the detectors every 11 months, that way they are changed a month before they go "low battery" at a silly hour of the day.

• 1 month later...

Hi. My green light is showing power. But the red light is still intermittently flickering. What does this mean. I have just replaced the battery. 

Hi Jason

After battery change the red light will flash every 40 seconds. This is indicating the alarm is doing a self test on it’s circuitry, sensor and battery. This is completely normal. If it continues, please let me know.

Harry