Guest GabriellaKi

Does wooden furniture need to be fireproofed?

If it is just wood and no upholstery then the base is not subject to any regulations, if it is upholstered then I would recommended meets Fire safety of furniture and furnishings in the contract and non-domestic sectors, but in both cases the mattresses should meet Fire safety of furniture and furnishings in the contract and non-domestic sectors. This because your premises is subject to The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005. 

Guest Leeds Pete

Hi Guys

I have a restaurant in Broadstairs & my landlord is insistant that the decking area (12ft square) be

painted/sprayed with a fireproof paint/varnish .......... there is no upholstery, just decking boards.

Is this a legal requirement???

Guidance would be very much appreciated

Regards

Peter

The only reason I could think of or treating the decking would be to reduce the flame of spread and I cannot think why it would be necessary. Ask the landlord, can you see the fire risk assessment, which may give some reason.

Another point to consider is why the landlord is getting involved in fire safety as he/she is not the Responsible Person (RP) under The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 but you as the employer. Being the RP you are required to conduct a fire risk assessment (FRA) under the RR(FS)O and this situation would be included in the FRA.

The other thing to consider is any agreements between you and the landlord.

Guest Emilie

Hi Tom, My employer is moving business his premises this year and wants to make bespoke desks for staff which would be made from wood. Does the wood need to have any flame retardant properties as it is being used for commercial use?

The concern is any furniture or furnishing initiating fire and it is unlikely that an untreated timber desk is likely to initiate a fire or provide fuel in the early stages of a fire.

Guest Residential Care Home

Hi

My mother in law has move into a care home. We want to provide a wooden chair (not upholstered) and book shelves in her room. We have been refused as they don't have a fire safety label or mark underside. I understand from previous posts that they are not correct and that the regulations do not apply to second hand wooden furniture however I cannot point them to a regulation that says this. Is there anything on paper that would helpe

Many thanks

Hugh

The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulations 1988 (as amended in 1989, 1993 and 2010) set levels of fire resistance for domestic upholstered furniture, furnishings and other products containing upholstery and as you see it only applies to furniture, furnishings and other products containing upholstery.

Check out  https://www.firesafe.org.uk/furniture-and-furnishings-fire-safety-regulations-19881989-and-1993/.

Guest cameron cashley

hi is there any regulations that apply to surface finishes on wood or any that apply to the wood itself?

As far as I am aware there is no regulations that apply to wood or its coatings, but good practice, would be limit the number of coats, more than four could present a surface spread of flame risk.