Fire extinguisher life length?

Guest Guest

• 1 month later...

Assuming it's AFFF or some similar synthetic foam compound that's not the usual correct colour of the concentrate or solution, it looks like it's degraded and I would replace with fresh water and concentrate.

As to cause, I'm not sure, could be solution age, contaminated water, exposure to extremes of temperature. I've seen old solution go like this in the old days of cartridge extinguishers sometimes where the water and solution is old and there has also been a reaction with the plastic of the lining and cartridge - was there a sludge on the cartridge and diptubes?

• 2 months later...
Guest PeterU

Hello

I've just comeback from feeding a mate's cat while they're away on holiday, and have found that the fire extinguisher supplied in their rented accomodation is very old. It's a beige foam one (Britannia I think? But I didn't have my phone to take a picture). The pressure gauge is in the green but towards the low end, and the casing seems in decent nick, but it hasn't been serviced since the 90s.

I'll be letting him know as soon as he gets back that it needs at least a service, and possibly replacing dependant on that service, but can anyone point me in the direction of any legislation / guidelines I can give him to show to his landlord to ensure action is taken?

Sounds like it would be good in my Museum, although if a Britannia extinguisher it's probably still fit for use (Unless it's a small one with a plastic valve) even though 99% of service firms will just replace new.

If it's a HMO or holiday accommodation then Article 17 of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order required suitable maintenance, if rented under a tenancy the Housing Act applies, also a HMO is covered by its own legislation in addition, usually as part of licensing.

• 1 year later...
Guest 3rd mate Ryan

How long is the validity of spare powder charges? I have plenty but i don't know if it is still valid. Date of manufacture is January 2013..

Many manufacturers give a recommended shelf life of 5 years, although this is more of a 'best before' than a 'use by' in most cases as long as the powder remains sealed, free from moisture and still free flowing. Performance wouldn't be guaranteed by the manufacturer after their recommended age.