Guest JulieAub

Can I sell a chair without fire safety label on ebay?

I think the arm covers would be under A5.1 Permanent, loose and stretch covers and should meet Schedule 5, Part 1 of the regulations which is the match test and permanently labeled accordingly. Check out http://www.firesafe.org.uk/furniture-and-furnishings-fire-safety-regulations-19881989-and-1993/ all the links are there except FIRA guide which is  Fire safety of furniture and furnishings in the home - A Guide to the UK Regulations

Guest Amelia

Hi Tom

I am considering selling some small to medium sized second hand pieces, eg from brick-a-brack to a sideboard, which will be covered in paper or fabric and varnished.  The paper may be maps or craft paper and the fabric is the patchwork type.  None of these come with fire labels.  Do the fire safety regulations only cover soft furnishings like sofas and cushions?

Many thanks

The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulations 1988 (as amended in 1989 and 1993) set levels of fire resistance for domestic upholstered furniture, furnishings(cushions etc) and other products containing upholstery.

Guest Lisa

Dear Mr Sutton

I have read your posts over the last 4 years and would like to say I think you are incredible for providing so many people with help on this topic! To add to the variety on this site, can I please ask about renting an apartment with furniture in? I have discovered that one piece of my 3-piece leather seating arrangement does not appear to have a fire safety label. All three pieces are made the same and were purchased at the same time and the other two pieces are clearly labelled. Now I wish to rent my apartment furnished. Is there a way to get a piece of furniture tested to check if it conforms with the requirements? It is a rather large 3 seat sofa so not easily transportable and the set was purchased new in 2005. I still have the sale receipts but sadly the company where it was purchased is no longer in business.

Many thanks for your advice!

The regulations require the manufacturer, importer and/or the retailer to be able to prove the materials used to upholster domestic furniture is cigarette/match resistance. This is done by having records to prove that this is the case and a permanent label is attached to the furniture given details of the manufacturer or importer so the enforcing authority can check the details.

These records are only required to be kept for five years so after that the permanent label is the only indication that the item of upholstered furniture is compliant with the regulations. Therefore it is up to the original purchaser to ensure the permanent label is attached to each piece of upholstered furniture and as far as I am aware after five years there is no way of checking the records so a new permanent label can be attached.

If it stays within the ownership of the original purchaser there is no problem, it is when passed on to new owners and the permanent label is missing, there in little one can do, if you need to prove the item of furniture is compliant.

Guest Lucy

I bought a vintage mid century armchair from a shop near me in London about 6 years ago. I since found out the council had prosecuted the shop for selling illegal furniture. When I asked if mine was okay they said they would only know by setting it on fire! Seems a strange process...

The problem is that the manufacturer/importer only has to keep their records for five years, after that there is no way of proving if an item of upholstered furniture is compliant with the regulations and the only way to prove it, is to test it, (setting it on fire) which would destroy it.

The Furniture and Furnishings Fire Safety Regulations apply to the sale of second hand furniture and furniture purchased at the first point of supply, i.e. retail sales.

A private individual can sell second hand furniture but it should be compliant with the above mentioned regulations. The difficulty in situations that arise where a person who IS NOT in trade or business commits a breach of consumer legislation is that Trading Standards have limited powers of enforcement where the sale is not in the course of trade or business.

As a moral issue I think you should tell the purchaser the full situation and if they decide to purchase it then that is up to them.

Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline on 08454 04 05 06. Trading Standards http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/advice/index.cfm

Guest Guest Dee

Hello Tom,  I've just come across your posts and can I ask if it's illegal for me to sell (possibly on Gumtree eg) my dining room chairs even though I was the (silly) person to cut off the very large Fire Safety labels. The chairs were purchased from a large reputable furniture store 5 years ago. 

It sounds like the large label you cut off was the display label which is only required when it is on display in the shop, the label you need to look for is permanent label which will be fixed permanently to each item of furniture.

If this is a one off sale and you are not a business then you are not subject to the regulations but I think you have a moral duty to inform the purchaser that the permanent label is missing , if it is, and allow the purchaser to decide.

Check out Fire safety of furniture and furnishings in the home - A Guide to the UK Regulations 

Guest Ian H

Whilst this discussion is about selling furniture I was wondering where I stand if I give away non fire certified furniture on gum tree? I hate to throw stuff away but understandably charities won't take the sofa because it doesn't have the fire certification label (the matching chair did and they took that).  Rather than just take it to the tip I'd rather it went to someone who needs it but I'm nervous that I can't due to the lack of the label.

Not being a business you are not subject to the regulations but i believe you have a moral duty to inform the recipient that the items of upholstered furniture does not carry a permanent label and allow him/her to decide but if it was me I would send it to the tip. 

Check out Fire safety of furniture and furnishings in the home - A Guide to the UK Regulations.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.