Fire exit with thumb lock

Guest Sara Bennett

The management company for the block of flats (approx 20) where I live has replaced a faulty push pad with a blank plate on the front door/fire exit so you now need to push a small button with one hand and simultaneously the door with the other in order to exit. There are a number of families with small childrenin the block and I am not convinced this is safe. Can you advise? Also what is the relevant legislation/ regulations? 

Thank you 

Or worse an electromechanical lock which would not be permitted on escape routes where it relies on the release of the electrical keep as they are known to jam under pressure. They are only suitable where from the inside the latch can be withdrawn without the keep release by the form of mechanical means such as a thumb turn.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Daisyfingers

Hi Tom
One of our final exit doors at my workplace has two thumb latches and a drop bolt fitted, I've told them that they should only have one thumb latch and all other locking devices should be removed to comply with the RRFSO.
They are refusing to do this as they recon it would make the door to easy for intruders to break-in, so therefor they don't need to remove them.
Who is right please?

Drop bolts are acceptable during the time the premises is unoccupied but they should be withdrawn during the time the premises are occupied. A major problem is they are sometimes not opened during the time the premises are occupied resulting in the Responsible Person committing an offence.

Consequently we used to require the RP to remove the stop that prevents the barrel from being removed, so the bolt could be hung up on a board, we used to call a chain/bolt board in easy view, this ensured the RP was not committing an offence.

• 1 year later...
Guest Thumb Lock

Hi Tom.

A small laboratory room at work has 2 doors. Both are internal and do not open to the outside.

Recently one was deemed a fire exit only, this door has a thumb lock on the inside.

Can the thumb lock be used?

Only staff use this room. Maximum 3 people at any one time and in total 6 people are permitted to use the room.

Thanks Mike.

Guest Thumb Lock

Thanks for the reply very much appreciated.

Are you able to provide a link to the type of acceptable thumb lock. Just so I know what to look for.

Thanks Mike.

• 1 month later...
Guest GUEST

Hi, could you tell me  i have had a new front door fitted by a reputable company but it doesnt have a thumb lock.  I have 5 children in the house and was only supplied 3 keys ( 1 of these keys had to be used to allow us to exit the property).  Surely in this day and age under fire regs a thumb lock should be fitted as standard.  I have called them back and for an additional charge they will come and change lock to a thumb one(  If i used a locksmith my 10 year warranty would become invalid).  Is it right that it doesnt have to be a thumb lock by law?

Thank you

As far as I am aware there is no legislation requiring rim locks be fitted to front doors, but there is guidance that requires doors, needed for means of escape, should be easily opened without the need of a key. What surprises me is that you didn't require the joiner to fit a rim and dead lock which seems a normal arrangement for front doors.